09 April 2008

Dr. ABC

Today is especially a tiring one for me. I didn't go to my 8am lecture since I have to go to the hospital for my procedural skills workshop b4 9:30am. Before going to uni, I made a quick trip to the chinese convenience store to get a box of Arnotts tee vee snacks.. nda ku tau mengapa ku bekarih ke sana, tais tah jua liurku kan makan, hehe.




Kadai runcit c caicai..very convenient for any emergency needs, hehe..convenience store tah banar

I met up with my P.B.L mates at the parking spot near the vet clinic at 8:50am. Alx and Dan drove us to the hospital and we reached there early. Today's workshop was on Basic Life Support. It helps to refresh my memory on what I have been trained with when I did the course back in Brunei. The tutor made a lot of jokes during the presentation and it was quite informative. I actually enjoyed myself and after the presentation, we had a practical exercise using dummies.



pictures taken from somewhere on the internet

The key elements in BLS are: Danger, Response, Airway, Breathing and Circulation. Before approaching the patient, we are asked to assess for any danger that might be present in the immediate environment. Next, checking for the patient's responsiveness using the COWS method. If the patient is unresponsive, then it is time to call for help. This is followed by clearing the patient's airway by tilting his/her head. Check for any signs of breathing. If the patient is not breathing normally, then 2 full rescue breaths are given to the patient using an air pump. Then check for the presence of a pulse. If none is detected, CPR is given, using 30 chest compressions. This cycle of rescue breaths and compressions were continued with revival checks every 2 minutes. Nya tutor, there is always the possibility of breaking the sternocostal ribs especially in older people. According to the tutor, there is another easier way of counting the 30 chest compressions. He recommended singing "jingle bells" to substitute the counting.. hmm, I wonder if he is being serious about it.. It seems to work though.. let's try it:

~~ Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way, Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh, hey ~~ That's 10 compressions.. Now repeat the same verse twice, and you'll get your 30 chest compressions! :)


Next we tried using the defibrillator, following voice commands from it. We were wary of standing as clear as possible from the dummy when the electric shock was applied, especially after hearing some of the stories by the accidential shockage of unsuspecting people.. jauh paliss.. After the workshop, we decided to stay at the hospital while waiting for our C.C. to start at 1pm. We hung around the tea room/kitchen for a while and I had my trusty Arnotts snack for lunch.. sihat banar lunchku atu.. hehehe.. I still had an hour to kill, so I decided to check out the library and stayed there reviewing my handbook for later. Had C.C. next and practise history taking for respiratory week.


We left the hospital around 3pm. On the way, while waiting for the traffic lights to change, tarus2 ada tia orang putih ani, menspray windshield krita c Alx ani. Menyuci tia dgn barus nya ani and tarus minta bayar ia lagitu. C Alx ani dgn generousnya membagi dua ringgit upah. I asked my fren if that happens all the time here since that's the first time ku pernah nampak org buat cematu di sini. She said that it's actually nda legal to do that di sini.. adehh, berani jua org atu ah.., usulnya org muda2 mcm kami ani plang jua.. nya durang, the windshield was actually cleaner before org atu menyuci.. there were still some soap suds on the sides, ish ish ish..ugi ugi..refund!refund! haha..buat2 menunggu atu, nampak kami org sama atu menyuci ceramin krita org dpn ani jua.. mcm2 saja.. hehehe


Arrived home a quarter to 4. I started to develop a head ache, mayb since I havent eaten a proper meal dari tadi. All I had was an egg sandwich for breakfast and the biscuits for lunch. Kalau mama tau, misti kana lecture tu, haha..I edited my FQ, then had a short nap. Had dinner of spagetti with wedges and chicken nuggets. I rested for the night and here I am blabbing away about my day which is quite liberating, I have to say :)


Enough of that for now.. So how's ur day been?


Gd night! :)

0 comments:

Soothe Your Senses

You Are Visitor Number

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com