15 August 2008

Watching the Olympics

I was watching the Beijing Olympics yesterday. I think, my most favorite event to watch right now is the swimming competition. I watch the events unfold whenever I can. Yesterday, after my noon PBL, I went straight home, anticipating an early weekend. There are no lectures scheduled today again (we are so spoiled, haha). I have added an Olympic medal tally widget to keep us posted on the current medal status. Seems like China is still ahead of the pack, with Aussie in the 6th place.

So yesterday, I was watching the women's 4 x 200m swimming freestyle relay which was very exciting indeed. I was at the edge of my seat, cheering for the Oz team as they swam a good distance ahead from the other competitors. They managed to keep up their pace, and as the final swimmer touched the finishing line, the team members jumped up in joy, knowing that they have won the gold medal and a new world record has been made! They managed to break the winning streak that has been made by the US team in that event. In the Oz team, is Stephanie Rice, who in previous swimming meets have won 2 gold medals (also breaking world records), thus earning her 3rd gold in the event. With 3 gold Olympic Medals under her belt, she is touted as the Oz Golden Girl, being only the fifth Australian to collect three gold medals in a single Olympics along with Ian Thorpe, Shane Gould, Jodie Henry and Patria Thomas in past events. The event was balik2 on replay yesterday on tv and being an Oz supporter now that Australia can be considered as a second home for me, I am proud of the achievements that have been made so far by the Oz Olympic teams. Go Oz! :p

I've been meaning to watch the Diving event but kelurusan masa ku liat tv, nada main, haha. I have to check the schedule for that. I also watched the men's 77kg weightlifting event in which the gold medal was won by South Korea. I wonder cemana orang dapat mengangkat all these weights sampai 200kg atu kan, macam cerita c Badang tah pulang nah, hehe. I read in some news article that a Hungarian weightlifter has dislocated his right elbow back to front, trying to lift a 326 pounds of weight. He must be in full agony after that, as seen from the pictures. Kesian! Ijap ku meliat at the unnatural angle of armsnya. It was also his first Olympics as well. (*Shudders*) To see the pictures, click here

Gymnastics was not bad, ada ku watch some events nya as well. I was watching a table tennis meet as well but the Oz team lost to the Chinese team. Though they exhibited good competition. I also read in the news about the controversy pasal kanak-kanak yang menyanyi during the opening of the Olympics event. Rupanya bukan kanak-kanak yang baju merah atu punya suara, but it was actually another girl yang menyanyi in the background. Astah. According to them, yang real singer nya atu not suitable to appear due to her, quote "buck teeth". Ada2 saja. They admitted to the controversy and gave an explanation for their choice.

So there you go, some of the interesting stuffs regarding the Olympics, hehe. I'm not really up to date plang about Olympics ani, but ani just some stuff that I've heard, seen or read. Alritey then, back to watching the Olympics! Gymnastics playing now. :p

0 comments:

Soothe Your Senses

You Are Visitor Number

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com