27 May 2009

Fruity tales: The mango and the watermelon

Now this is something we don't see everyday!

I can't believe that we finally have mangoes growing untouched on our mango trees. I was in my sister's room, looking out at her window the other day when I noticed a large apple mango swinging subtley in the wind. As you may have read in my previous posts, we don't usually get to eat our own grown mangoes since they usually disappear before they can grow fully. This is due to the fact that those mangoes are usually eaten by the monkeys hanging out in the small forest at the back or, or simply due to the fact that they refused to grow.. hmm..

Well, this is all very exciting! haha. How rare is that?! Haha, kesian.. I know, I know, it's funny that I can get excited over something like this. Not that I am a mango lover or anything but I like them just fine, hehe. Well, it is kinda exciting to see quite a few growing rather nicely, left alone, in their branches, after all these years.

I guess the little monkeys have found another play ground perhaps? *grins*

Owhh, all this excitement just reminded me of a story. Well, when I was a kid, probably 10 or so, my cousin and I decided to 'experiment'. We have just eaten a few slices of watermelon, when we came up with an idea. So we chose an unsuspecting flower vase, without my mother's knowledge, to try grow our own watermelon fruit, hehe. We planted the watermelon seeds that we just spat out into the soil in the vase and watered them in the hopes that our little 'experiment' will work. I don't remember how long that we have to wait to see the results. I guess I kinda forgot about the 'experiment' for some time until one day I noticed that a small watermelon fruit has grown from the seeds that we planted a while ago! I was beyond excited haha. When my cousin came to visit again, I told her about the fruit that we managed to grow and by that time, it was already the size of an adult fist. I believed that the flowers on the vase looked in a rather bad shape.. I guess all the nutrients have been sucked by our little fruity 'experiment'! Lols.. So, being kids, we couldn't wait any longer, so we decided to eat our homegrown watermelon! Hahahaha.. That was a funny childhood memory.. *smiling like an idiot now* Thus, our 'experiment' was a success and success has never felt or rather, 'taste' so sweet! :P

Alright, alright, back to the topic here.. hehe

So to mark the 'special' occasion, I took some photos of the said mangoes, hahaha.. :P You never know, they may not be there in the coming few days since I have probably jinxed it by announcing this rather random post here, haha. Oh well. :P

Apple mango :)

The apple mango tree. :)

Where are the mangoes? haha

Another type of mango, with its mango flowers.

Mango tree

Baby mangoes

0 comments:

Soothe Your Senses

You Are Visitor Number

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com